Join now - be part of our community!

4K or not 4K

profile.country.GB.title
rgale47
Explorer

4K or not 4K

Hi everyone.

I've owned a KD-49X8305C for just over a year now, but I've not been able to watch anything in 4K 'cause I don't have Sky Q & my Virgin Tivo box isn't 4K compatible.

However, I recently watched some 4K stuff from the Amazon Video app which came pre-installed on the TV.  I was expecting to be amazed and astounded by the picture quality as a result of all the hype I'd read about 4K, but tbh I was thoroughly dissapointed by the fact that I couldn't tell any difference from what I was supposedly watching in 4K and standard HD picture quality.? 

My previous Sony TV was 3D compatible & it automatically detected a 3D signal....I'm assuming that my current TV is the same and doesn't require me to change any settings in order to watch in 4K.?  There doesn't seem to be anything in the on-line manual to indicate that this is the case.

To be honest, I feel a little short changed.  I've just ordered a Virgin V6 box specifically for it's 4K capability which is due to be installed next month.  I'm starting to wonder if I've wasted my money....

Comments anyone..??

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

The best way to see the difference is to connect a computer via HDMI and select the UHD or 4K resolution in the computer. Then in the desktop switch between 1080p and 2160p.  I'm not sure about how it works in Windows (I use a Mac), but generally speaking the resolution should get automatically changed, with the available area quadruplicating, but the with the small text getting nearly unreadable.

Then you can use YouTube. There are some videos in 4K Just search for "4K" in YouTube. Play the video and remember to go to the HD settings and select 2160p when available. Unfortunately that "smart" app doesn't have an option to always set the maximum resolution.

But yeah, generally speaking 4K for videos is IMHO a gimmick. We can see the difference, I did it the other day with my brother in law and little nieces (they have better eyes! lol) but it is to me nearly irrelevant, especially at a distance. Also remember that the video can be highly compressed, so the benefits of 4K can be reduced. I'd say HDR is much more apparent (and cooler) than 4K.

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

all 4k has compression that deteriorates the PQ. also veiwing distance In relation to your screen size Is a big factor.

google viewing distance for UHD. Screen size of my tv Is 55", my viewing distance should be 4-5 ft. , even with compression, IQ, i think is still better.If you subscibe to Netflix UHD,  move closer to the tv, and i bet the PQ improves, to your eye. apart from that..... yes, hype

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

In my mind - apart from what others have said already, you need really good source material, preferably with HDR and 10 bit colour. Most of the materials available now are mediocre at best, and worse even, bitrates offered by YouTube, Netflix, etc are very low. You can't see amazing amoung of detail, if YouTube bitrate is 3-4 Mbits. Netflix is slightly better, but not much. I've seen 65' TV, playing the latest Startrek movie from UHD BD disc, with bitrates jumping to over 120Mbit - and with this, you can easily see the difference.

In this case old programmers saying "crap in = crap out" works rather well.

I can't answer your question about 3D, I've never been fan of this, my current TV is 3D capable, but I have no glasses.

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

yes tv should detect a 3d source, only work's with my tv tho', if i watch a 3d blu-ray. You state "to watch 4k" there is no 4k 3d material