Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

As promised, I want to keep you updated with more information on forthcoming TV firmware updates.

This morning, the TV technical team confirmed that a new firmware update is planned for release next week (available via network download). The final tests are being performed and I will tell you the exact date as soon as I can.  

Have a good weekend everybody.

Kindest regards

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
profile.country.nl_NL.title
tcviper
Explorer

Thanks Nico, is that also for the Netherlands? :slight_smile: Did you see our points concerning 5.1 sound in apps and HDMI sync not working 100%? :slight_smile:

andrewsoong

If the apps run in the background (which a lot do I imagine) then of course it affects ram.

Yes M may improve things. I hope so. Let's hope Sony actually keep up with Android releases.

I probably sound more down on this TV then I am. I was just totally hyped for it for ages and it's fallen a bit flat. I still hold out hope things will be resolved.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

@tcviper I understand it is for all European markets 😉

Cheers

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

Morning All....

Well, My model is going back as of today, when i contact Sony. 

I had much less problems with my last tv when it was broken..! 

This whole thing is an utter joke sony, all this firmware problems should have been sorted out before they was released to the market for sale.I cannot beleive the amount of problems all of us are having with this new model tv, the whole list of problems i am having is endless..! There are so many new posts coming on here, about all the different problems arising....and i think its time to return them. We have paid our money over, and all we are doing is suffering, writing on forums about the problems we are having, when we should be sitting and enjoying our new addition of tv's.

I have had enough.

Sony, I will be letting the BBC Watchdog programme know about this farse and how we have all been treated, and i think it will give the brand name a kick where it needs it. We should NOT be treated in this manner. They should accept the problems, and for all the units to be returned, and re-released when they are working 100%.

The way we have been treated is disgusting Sony.

Give us a refund, and go and get your act together with this new Android model TV. All of it..!

alellio01

Sorry to see you go scott, I got my retailer to agree if sony dont sort the issues out i cant return my TV at anytime.

I normal hate big retailers, but Currys/PCWorld rang me yesterday without me asking, just to get an update. Im not giving up on sony just yet, Im waiting for my new hdmi cable to arrive. Also we have an update monday, mind you i think sony should give us a update break down, it would be nice to know what they are fixing this time. Stuff like iplayer is not a fix for the problems.

MikeLothian

What's the update on Monday I've not heard about that one
alellio01

i posted yesteday that sony are planning an update for 22nd, provided it passes their tests, but theres still no infomation on what this update is for, fixes or just adding missing features.

danielbeyzade

Hi All,

I have been speaking at length to Sony's UK escalations department about all the issue I have experience which include:

• No EPG for satellite
  • Live TV Video / Audio Sync Issues
  • No 5.1 Passthrough for Netflix
  • Time Resetting to 0:00 and changing by itself to manual mode resulting in all google online apps not working
  • Built in Sony video app not displaying content to correct aspect ratio and it shifting between ratios on pause.
  • Flakey chromecast support, keeps locking up, multiple devices showing on clients.

They insit to me the product is ready for market and that this is not BETA software. Apparently all of the above are "features" to be added and not bugs. I asked to return the TV to be repaired underwarranty and this was denied as there are no hardware issues. I asked for a loan to TV until the issues were rectified (we sold our old TV this replaces) this was also denied with a very firm "NO".

There was no apologies whatsoever or recognition in anyway that this product is not ready for market and has fundermental issues. I was told I was being unreasonable not wanting to wait for software updates for basic features like having an EPG and watching live TV. He tried telling me that audio and video sync was not part of broadcast standards and therefore the unit currently meets its specifications. He described the audio / video sync issue as a "quality improvement feature".

Sony I am very dissapointed. The very least you could do is put your hands up and acknowledge the situation. If this is the way you wish to treat your customers, you will have none left.

Regards

Daniel

dave_nash
Explorer

Well, I have had my Android tv for a week now & it will be going back to Currys in the morning.

Issues are;

Movies freezing whilst playing

Amazon tv, exactly the same.

Apps not working or timing out or working when they seem to feel like it.

I am still also wanting to know what dailymotion is as the app was there but wouldn't take me past the BT start up screen?

The smart remote on my smart phone intermitently working with the tv, but not the voice control which just does not work.

Photo sharing not working....................the list goes on

Basically its a piece of junk with flawed technology that I am extremely disappointed with.

I rang Sony this morning who simply went through a reboot with me & told me the tv was fine & that I have three options, 1.  Escalation, 2.  replacement with something from them, what that would bet was very vague & 3., (which they reccommended), return it to store.

Suffice to say I wont be replacing it with a Sony.

Anyone have any suggestions for a quality 50inch Smart tv around the same money with proven/working technology?