Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
andrewsoong

Great stuff - Thanks.

I've given up with email support. They all just try to blame other people - Sonos, Netflix, etc. Their TVs are faultless according to them, it seems! 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Don't worry, please be assured they appreciate the feedback on these forums, either positive or negative.

If they don't know it's 'broke' then they can't fix it :slight_smile:

NickCo1979

For a fee I could make them one of these..... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtXtIivRRKQ

Chocohoops
Explorer

Hey everyone, I've been reading through and noticed alot of unhappy people. I seem to be having alot of the same problems. Only found out only today that you hold the power button on the remote to reboot the TV. I swear I didn't see that in any help files or the manual lol.Seems to cure all issues though for me, apart from the lip sync issue, which seems to go away once simulated surround is switched off. I don't think it worked very well anyway.

Just a quick mention, I did notice the TV was using more 75% of its RAM of 2GB. I didn't have any big apps open either. seems odd to me. Would be nice if the TV went through an app refresh during standby or when launching TV. Maybe that would stop the laggy guide. Btw, how come the colour buttons aren't enabled on the guide. red for page down, green for page up, yellow for +24hours etc. Its very tedious scrolling through one by one.

Honestly, bugs aside which i'm sure will get fixed, anybody else notice KOTOR in the list of games? :wink:

MikeLothian

Has anyone managed to get anything other than sterio from the TV using HDMI & ARC?

Has anyone had any luck using an optical cable instead?
profile.country.GB.title
psp888

i got optical working, just set tsound to come out of external speakers only, otherwise it will output in stereo only

andrewsoong

My worry is 2Gb isn't enough for Android TV. Especially so with the current memory leak.

I'm also amazed at the amount of apps, around 180, even before installing any myself. Loads are running that I see no point in so I imagine that's most of the ram gone before you even start.

I've started rebooting my TV every night now to keep performance levels up. I'm gonna keep it until the next firmware but if that doesn't sort things out then Amazon will be getting it back.

Getting tired of this now. Tried to watch a few Youtube videos tonight and it was frustrating as hell.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
tcviper
Explorer

Why would 2 gb memory not be enough? Mobile phones these days also come with 2 gb and those work perfectly fine. I dont think this is a memory issue *****, I believe it needs better CPU/GPU optimizations and fixes for all the mentioned things :slight_smile:

andrewsoong

Maybe right now 2Gb is ok but think of what is still to come - Youview, HDD recording, more apps, etc. I hope performance doesn't suffer a year or so down the road.

4Gb will be standard in mobiles from next year.

Also Android 5.0 has been a memory hog since day one. I'm still hoping it will be resolved but 4Gb would have certainly put my mind at ease a bit!

profile.country.nl_NL.title
tcviper
Explorer

Installing apps has nothing to do with the memory, that has to do with HD Space, and the TV has 8gb by itself and I think you can expand that by connecting a USB HD or USB Stick, so, that also shouldnt be a problem.

Also with upcoming Android M things should improve a lot :slight_smile: