Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
rdlowry

@tweety2b 

Any word on when we can expect the next update?

Thanks!

blytant
Explorer

Yeah been checking every day no new update... 

Mission360
Explorer

I have the KD-65X8505C and have both a Humax Freesat box connected and also a digital "FreeView" aerial connected. I note looking at the EPG on FreeView that it's not branded with FreeView. I have another Sony TV that has the red logo on the EPG. Does this TV have a "generic" freeview EPG?

hordley
New

Lots of things just do not work or allow you access

Sent from my iPad
dspencer999

Does anyone have an x85c on Freeview (not Freesat), and feel that the picture is good?

For me, the picture is dreadful in both SD and HD, even with the calibration settings suggested.

lesking70

i have just got rid off virgin, and im just using freeview now, personally the picture seems pretty decent, about the same as the tivo box really, the hd channels are really good, but the sd channels arent the best, my only gripe is what most people have said here the epg is crap, hopefully the youview update will be a big improvement, if it ever arrives.

Rodders123
Explorer

I'm just getting rid of virgin too. Freeview HD on a KDL-50W807c is brilliant, Blu-ray is amazing. I'm a bit annoyed at some of its foibles, it doesn't play nice with my Onkyo receiver (turning off HDMI CEC on the BD player sorted it mostly) somethimes it just goes black until I turn it off and on again, but I can just about forgive that because the picture os sooooo good!

It needs the USB recording thing sorting soon though!

dspencer999

So, it sounds like my screen is just damaged as I suspected, and hopefully the replacement one I'm being offered will be OK.

Just want to be sure, as this is my one chance to opt out away from Sony and go for a Samsung.

Mission360
Explorer

Totally agree the HD picture is amazing. Just replaced my Samsung with a Sony and despite the issues I certainly wouldn't go back to Samsung!

cozzykim

Has anyone else got their promotional Dual Shock controller yet.

I bought my TV from John Lewis and Sony are giving me the runaround big style, saying that my paperwork from JL doesn't constitute a genuine invoice. I'm back and forth to JL and Sony like a YoYo and not getting anywhere.

They've now sent me an email saying my application has been rejected and that I only have 5 days to submit a proper invoice. JL say it IS a proper invoice.

If they mess me about any more this TV is going back for a full refund  and I'll never buy anything Sony again.

They actually told me to drive 25miles to the JL store and make the site manager phone them up while I'm there, what planet are these people on?

How dare you treat your customers like this Sony, I paid CASH for my KD-55X8509 and TWO HT-XT1 sound bases.

If I don't get some sense out of them this will be the SECOND Sony Bravia Android TV I've bought that's going back for a full refund.

I'm going to initiate a BBC Watchdog inquiry too, they're taking the "P" with us guys.