Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Smithee
Explorer

10 days....

--
Dr Andrew Hudson-Smith FRSA
Director and Reader in Digital Urban Systems
Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis
University College London
90 Tottenham Court Road
Gower Street
London
WIT 4TJ

http://www.digitalurban.org
http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk
dspencer999

Hi Smithee,

Is the TV you have the 55UF860V?

Quick questions, as I may go the same route as you;

1) Does Plex work well?

2) Netflix and Amazon Prime both good? And in 4K?

3) Does it have BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4, and 5 Player?

4) Is the picture good on both Freeview SD and HD channels?

Thanks. 

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@andrewsoong I did your method to get SONY Select off and Featured apps, it worked!

So I tried to see about getting them back on, and only the Shelf puts back the Featured Apps, I cant get the SONY Select to come back. I can accses it through the settings-apps-SonySelect-open. Just cant seem to get it back on the Home screen. Do you know how too? Its not that important, but would like to know for future .

andrewsoong

Hmm not sure. I'd have thought doing the same as the featured apps part would work. If not I imagine a factory reset would if you're desperate.

Also I bet any time Sony push an update it puts them all back.

cozzykim

Regarding navigation in the browser and Google Photos.

I've found that some of my various controllers, airmouse, BT keyboard, Sony TV remote and One Flick remote don't all work for all navigation requirements.

I'd be having to use a BT keyboard touchpad to scroll and the TV remote for some other navigation functions.

The M1 airmouse would show a mouse pointer but the TV didn't respond to OK button clicks.

The answer seems to be to use the TV Sideview app in mouse mode, the TV responds as expected and I'm able to navigate around web pages and Google Photos relatively easily.

Has anyone managed a screenshot with the PWR/VolDown combination, or is there an app that works for the TV?

Smithee
Explorer

quick questions, as I may go the same route as you;

1) Does Plex work well?

Yep the TV has 'smart share' and it found my movies and streamed fine..

2) Netflix and Amazon Prime both good? And in 4K?

I dont have the bandwidth yet for 4K but both work well

3) Does it have BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4, and 5 Player?

Only iplayer and 5 - so no itv or 4 - i used my Xbox for these but i guess i might be an issue if your looking for them.

4) Is the picture good on both Freeview SD and HD channels?

HD is great  - SD not so good, but on the Sony SD suffered a bit - its a case of weighing things up - my main need was for 3D to work and its so much better, like night and day and the 2D to 3D is good. The interface is fast, but simple. So it feels sligthly less classy than the Sony, but in operation its a joy to use  - also simple to switch from Freeview to Satellite in the guide.

Hope that helps..

Andy

- as a side note, the stand is not silver, its a brass type colour but is actually rather nice...

dspencer999

Thanks Smithee - I really do want ITV and All 4, so it might not be an option unfortunately.

Do I take it that the Sony firmware update, due 17th, still hasn't been released?

Does anyone have any current news on this?

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

I noticed this morning that there was an explanation mark next to my network symbol... but I know the TV is connected (wired) to my fiber broadband! Not a big issue really, because I am still online with the unit, just want to know why it is there?Home Screen

wills_b

I had the same thing - exclamation mark next to network settings. I'm also using a wired connection, still able to access the net and have never used wifi.
Weird.

And no, no sign of any updates. The wait for 5.1 is now well beyond a joke.
sassbs
Explorer

I had the same issue this morning connected via WiFi.

very strange