Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
andrewsoong

Just noticed dailymotion is now on the store. Trouble is if you install it it doesn't overwrite the preinstalled version so it means you have two on there - one installed the proper way and one installed the Sony way.

it would be fine if both were the same, just don't install the store version, but the store version is the latest version and it's good. The preinstalled version is old and rubbish.

Very frustrating. I wonder how much money Sony make from these "featured" apps.

thmoore59
Explorer

can you not force uninstall from the App menu in settings?

andrewsoong

Only downloaded apps, not preinstalled ones.

Wondering if anyone has rooted a Sony TV yet? It's dying out for a stripped down custom rom.

cozzykim

Not quite the same as messing with a £70 Aldi/Medion tablet, I wouldn't want to brick a £1300 TV :anguished:

I've now got Photos working nicely with 'Rotation Lock, and a universal bluetooth keybard which I bought from ebay, which has a multi touch mousepad:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351434728191?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This allows me to scroll down the Google page where none of my other devices will, by using a two finger swipe.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps:smileywin:

andrewsoong

Just saw this over on xda:

Get Rid of the "Featured Apps" Section

1. Go to Settings -> Apps
  2. Look for an app called "Sony Shelf"
  3. Force Close it
  4. Set Notifications to "Off"

Get Rid of the "Sony Select" App and its Recommendations

1. Go to Settings -> Apps
  2. Look for an app called "Sony Select"
  3. Force Close it
  4. Set Notifications to "Off"

Worked for me. Even after boot they're gone. Great stuff.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

I think the TV as a TV is great, but the Android implementation is very bad. Games are unplayable, they have terrible framerates meaning it is incredibly jerky. Apps such as VEVO won't work complaining about network issues even though I am connected. 

However the real annoyance is the lack of 5.1 sound from Netlfix and Amazon Prime. When can we expect this working?

dspencer999

OK - is it only me that has this issue?

I've got the 55X8509 and setup the screen with the recommended rtings settings.

The picture using Freeview is horrendous, and the HD channels I'm not convinced are in HD at all.

Anyone else with this? I know mine has a fault and is going back anyway, but is this also unique to me?

Many others seem to be posting that the picture is brilliant, the only issues really being Android ones.

I can't even get a decent picture on normal TV!

Blu-rays incidentally play fine, and look good - I wouldn't call them stunning though, and no better than my old 1080P Samsung plasma.

sassbs
Explorer

dspencer999 my first 43X8309 went back for numerous issues including picture, inputs not working and going on fire during the Sony troubleshooting :slight_smile:

it was manufactured in June 15, the second was was manufactured in May 15 and has much better picture quaility, not sure if the first one was just really bad or if there is a difference in the manufacture quaility depending on the month it was made.

Saying that the funiest thing I have heard was the Sony Support person trying to read his script and I am saying nope there is smoke coming from it now, he had no script for that and was completly lost and kept going back to his script.

Smithee
Explorer

I'm sad to say that i jumped ship and returned my x85c today - the poor 3D/problems with plex/no 5.1 on netflix and the operating grinding to halt sadly made my first Sony my last.

I returned it for a 55 inch LG, 3D - a refund of £200 and 3D that is streets ahead of the Sony, Netflix with 5.1 and Plex that works. The picture seems just as good, if not better on Freeview, the issues with sound on freeview are also now gone.

The operating system is rather simple compared to Android but it works and my TV is back to being a TV where i can watch it without tweaking/wondering why things dont work.

Good luck all with the future updates, I'm sure things will get fixed, i just could not cope with the current issues having spent £1250...

Andy

elraouk

How long had you had it?