Join now - be part of our community!

Trying to fix a hotfix....(& other stories)

kindatemptin
Visitor

Trying to fix a hotfix....(& other stories)

Hello people! I am hoping you can help me as you have been great the last couple of times I've needed advice !grin.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=grin|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=grin.gif!

I have a PCV-RS402 &, after a recent reformat, I noticed my CPU keeps spiking to 100%
(possibly caused by right-clicking on icons in Explorer though I am not absolutely certain of that)

Anyway, luckily I remembered a Hotfix relating to CPU spiking in the Driver & Software Updates section of Club-Vaio. So, no problem, I thought, & I skipped happily off to get it straight away.

(ok, I didn't skip, but you know what I mean, I was pleased there was an easy fix for my problem!happy.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=happy|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=happy.gif!)

However,when I attempted to run the fix, the file extracted to 100% & I then got the following error message:

"The Target File Not Found"

Now, I double-double checked, & I did follow the instructions word for word (I mean, they aren't exactly complex after all) So, feeling a bit peeved, I sat & thought for a bit & here is what I came up with.....

+ - the only thing I can think might ....

...&, rather sadly, that was about as far as my thoughts went on this,
So, as you are all far more knowledgeable on these matters than me, I wondered if you might know how to fix this fix? Here is the gumph relating to it in case that helps at all... (from this page. )

Windows XP Hotfix KB833228 for: "This QFE fix the problem that CPU usage in the Indexing Service (Cisvc.exe) increases to 100 percent on WinXP systems"

This fix resolves the following problem:
This QFE fix the problem that CPU usage in the Indexing Service (Cisvc.exe) increases to 100 percent on WinXP systems.

Additional details about this problem can be found in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833228" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833228</a>

This fix is to be used on the VAIO models listed below.
WinXP Pro/Home SP1/SP1a All Notebook and Desktop PCs

Download and Installation Procedures
1.Download the file Hotfix833228xxx.exe, and save it to a download directory.
2.Go the download directory, and double-click Hotfix833228xxx.exe.
3.Click Unzip. The file will be extracted to C:\Hotfix833228.
4.Click Close to exit WinZip Self-Extractor program.
5.Make sure you log on with Administrative rights.
6.Open C:\Hotfix833228 and double Hotfix833228ENU.exe to start the installation.
7.The Windows KB833228 Setup Wizard starts.
8.Click Next. Wait while Setup performs the requested operation.
9.Click Finish.

Or, even better, I wondered if you might have any other possible solutions to my random CPU spikage problem?(spikage being highly technical terminology of course) It does only happen when I am using explorer & is USUALLY when I try to right click on items in My Documents. (which doesn't sound like a problem to bring here I know, however, as there is such a relevant-sounding hotfix offered to me by Sony...)

Anyway, I'll go for now, but I am looking forward to reading any replies I get, & I'd like to say thank you in advance for your time & assistance

Take Care

g.x

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would look in the folder it's extracted it to, you might find the program there