Join now - be part of our community!

Can I replace my graphics card (VGNS1VP)

steveromans
Visitor

Can I replace my graphics card (VGNS1VP)

I've got a Sony Vaio VGNS1VP notebook. Recently I've been having some problems that I'm fairly confident will be resolved through replacing the graphics card. However, whilst I know it's easy to replace memory cards, I don't know if it's so simple with graphics cards. Is this a simple process you can do yourslef? The card I have is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 (32MB) card. Can this be replaced? Can I upgrade it? What with?
Thanks,
Steve

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Nope, as it's soldered onto the motherboard

Josh-2552
Visitor

maybe if you get a new graphics card, a soldering iron, some soft-solder and one of those sucker-upper things, you could unsolder the old graphics card and fix in a new one. Just a thought.

kee-lo_

That wouldn't work

nick_pan
Visitor

That wouldn't work

i'm waiting for the..

"can i get an external graphics card..?" next

kee-lo_

LOL so am I Nick...........

Josh-2552
Visitor

ile spare you the wait

Please help me! can you get external things? i cant remember what it was

kee-lo_

Hehehehehehehe - simple answer, no
Long answer no, sadly you can't as the technology isn't in place and the interfaces are not quick enough for display

steveromans
Visitor

Thanks very much for all the replies. It's a shame that the graphics cards are soldered onto the motherboard, as it seems like the Vaio S series notebooks have a problem with the graphics card. Fortunately for me Sony have agreed to fix the laptop, since the problem is common.
Thanks again for your replies,
Steve Romans

kee-lo_

Glad to hear they'll fix it for you