Join now - be part of our community!

Want to remove Vista 32bit and try Vista 64bit....

profile.country.en_GB.title
mw198t
Visitor

Want to remove Vista 32bit and try Vista 64bit....

Ok so I have bought a second hand VGN-FW21E off ebay with no discs included.

It has Vista 32bit pre-installed but I want to install Vista 64bit of which I have a spare OEM copy.

Am I going to run into any problems doing this? Will I lose applications? Will everything work on the laptop, drivers, shortcut buttons etc.

Also if it does go pear-shaped is it possible for me to recover back to Vista 32bit without having a Vista 32bit disc? The laptop has a recovery partition which i can access by pressing F10 during boot-up but will this restore Vista 32bit and all applications once Vista 64 bit is installed?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If the RecoveryPartition is undamaged, it will return the Vaio to factory settings - Vista 32-bit.  You can check this is OK and make a set of Recovery DVDs by opening Vaio Recovery Centre.

Sony do not support 64-bit systems on your model so you will need to find Drivers, Utilities etc from other compatible Vaio models.  I would start by looking at the original software downloadable for the VGN-FW4* models.

As you cannot upgrade from 32 to 64-bit, this will have to be a clean install of Vista 64-bit.  With a clean install you will lose ALL the preinstalled software which cannot be recovered or downloaded.  You will have to buy relacement 64-bit compatible software for everything.

:thinking:

mw198t
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

To be clear, if the recovery partition is okay then say I have Vista 64 installed, all i need to do is press f10 at boot and start the recovery process and Vista 32 bit will be reinstalled along with all the original software without needing any discs? I do not have any blank dvds to make recovery discs. Do you need the recovery discs if I was just to use the recovery partition?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That's correct - using F10 will always reinstall the original OS and preinstalled software.  Nothing added or changed since it was bought will be kept.  The hard drive will be formatted (except for the Recovery Partition) and Vista 32-bit installed along with all the original software.  You will have to reinstall all the Microsoft and Vaio Updates since inception.

The only reason to make Recovery Discs is to be able to recover the Vaio in the event of a Hard Disc crash.

:wink:

mw198t
Visitor

Thankyou very much. That's just the information I needed.

I want to give Vista 64 a try as the laptop has 4gb RAM and i have a spare copy so why not!

I just needed to know beforehand that if it doesn't work out I can restore back to factory settings.

Btw a clean install of Vista 64 will not wipe the recovery partition i take it?

As regards losing pre-installed applications I'm thinking i only really need a blu-ray player as the rest is just junk like mcafee and office 60day trial. Is this right or is there any other programs that i will lose that i really need?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Installing  x64 Vista will not remove the Recovery Partition - that would need a manual format.

Others seem to do without most Sony software.

:neutral:

mw198t
Visitor

Ok thanks

Now about the Vista 64 install. Once installed will the laptop be able to access the internet for me to begin the driver hunt or am i going to need all of the drivers on a usb drive first?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I have no idea how good Vista x64 and Microsoft Update are at finding the basic drivers.

I would be tempted to have 64-bit versions of the essential drivers on a USB stick or CD just in case.

Audio

Graphics

SATA

Chipset

Vaio Smart Network

Wireless LAN

Pointing Device

SFEP

Sony Shared Library

Setting Utility Series

Vaio Event Service

You can then track down any others marked with an error in Device Manager.

:thinking:

mw198t
Visitor

Ok I have Vista x64 installed.

Windows update offered an ati update  but no CCC and is dated 2008. Cannot find a 64bit driver

I cant find a wireless driver and an sd card driver.

Also the hotkeys dont work.

Any ideas?

Thanks