Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO XL-201 HDMI Issues (Audio / Video)

yorkie34
Visitor

VAIO XL-201 HDMI Issues (Audio / Video)

I'm experiencing intermittent issues with my XL-201 which are driving me insane so if anyone can help be hugely appreciated.

System - XL-201, running Vista Home Premium, connected to Pioneer Plasma 427-XD using HDMI.

Sound - sometimes cannot get sound when playing back music or video stored on the hard drive. Occurs within the Media Center interface and the Vista desktop. Sometimes on return from sleep, but also when switching between Media Center interface and desktop. Reboot sometimes doesn't sort this out. Re-starting Media Center several times sometimes kick starts the sound again. When I click on the sound device and select test, the sound bars animate to indicate everything is working ok but nothing comes out of the TV speakers. Have turned of Dolby etc, selected the rate compatible with my TV, selected HDMI only etc.

Video - sometimes get no image on the Plasma after returning the XL from sleep mode.

Pretty fundamental issues for a media center designed for the modern living room. Am seriously considering buying a Mac mini for a hassle free life, but I don't want to give up on this as the system has its good points

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
ITTroll
Visitor

I experienced very similar issues with my XL201 and my Panasonic plasma. Intermittently, after resuming from sleep, I would get no display, or more commonly no sound. It does seem as if the HDMI connection is not properly reinitialised after resuming from sleep (not sure if this is down to the PC or the TV). I know the problem is with the HDMI because previously I had the XL201 connected to a monitor via DVI/Stereo and this never exhibited the problem.

I have tried all manner of different drivers including the HDMI firmware update. But the issue persists.

I now avoid the problem by simply not letting the PC sleep. This is not a great hardship as I like having the XL201 always available for serving music etc to other devices.

Not a great help I know, but at least you know you are not alone...

JeremyG
Visitor

Hi, I had similar issues with my XL301 - switched from HDMI to component output and it now works a treat. If your hardware supports this, I'd definintely give it a go!

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

That's an idea! Only trouble is i'm using component out for my projector.

I wonder if i can get a splitter box, which doesn't degrade picture quality?

p.s. I experience same problems as above connecting over HDMI to my Sony Bravia, from an XL201 running XP MCE 2005.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

I've read in numerous posts quite often an HDMI cable replacement will fix these issues especially as they cost £50+ obliging the retailer to do so. However in most cases it is glitchy vista coming to grips with the Sony drivers. All you can do is get the systenm running sweetly by defragmentation and using tuneup utilities here and do all it reccommends, By the Way no sigh of Vista service Pack one yet here which might help you would think

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

They started the beta programme for SP1 Vista this week, fyi.