Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-GRX316MP has 512mb or 768mb limit??

madbison
Visitor

PCG-GRX316MP has 512mb or 768mb limit??

Hello

A couple years back, I thought I saw a post saying that you could actually run 768mb memory in a Sony vaio Laptop PCG-GRX316MP.

Is this possible? Do I have to do anything special to do this?

Can anyone recommend an onlime supplier of memory for this laptop that will deliver to Australia?

Thanks heaps
David

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

No,

The MAX MEM from the GRX316MP is 1GB

I think the standart RAM is 2*256MB.
768 ---------------------------->256+512MB
1024--------------------------->512+512MB

and no it isn't possiple.
But I would use Ram from the same firm and with the same timings.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

You can get your memory from http://www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/international.asp?country=AUSTRALIA&submit=Go if you have a problem finding a local Australian supplier.

Sony specs indicate that the max RAM is 512MB - the spec is wrong. You can run with 768MB or 1MB. I have done both with my GRX316SP.

madbison
Visitor

Thank you both for your replies.

Re the "crucial" supplier, I could not find any mention of the PCG-GRX316MP. Probably because it is old.

Also, in my general searches of the web, I am only coming up with 256mb chips, no 512mb chips anywhere for this laptop.

If anyone has a link handy that would be great. Otherwise, I will continue my search.

Thanks
David

madbison
Visitor

Actually, what would help tremendously is a part number and manufacturer name for a 512mb chip that works in the PCG-GRX316MP.

And a 256mb chip from another manufacturer other than the original Sony would be good too.

That Crucial site looks pretty good, so if it was a part number for them, that would be good.

Thanks
David

seb21__
Visitor

Here is a Link to Everest Home Edition (Lavalys). This tool can show the details from your installed RAM.

madbison
Visitor

Hello again

I installed that tool, but could not see anything about the memory serial number. Only speed, etc.

Also, I really would love a part number from a 512mb chip that works in the 316MP if someone has one handy.

Thanks heaps
David

seb21__
Visitor

but you can see:

the firmname (like Samsung(in my Notebook))
the type (like DDR SO-DIMM 200Pin)
the clockspeed (like CL2,5)
and the Bus speed (like 266MHz)

and you know your Notebook works with max. 1GB RAM.

That's all what you must know for an upgrate.

For best compatibility, use Ram from the manufacturer from your preinstalled RAM (that is 100% not Sony).

Look at the Internetside from the manufacturer(like Kensigton, Samsung, GEIL, etc.) for more compatibility details, for your Notebook.

Excuse me, but a little bit detective work is always helpfully.
You cannot depend always on others.

kee-lo_

1GB is the max in the GRX316MP

robpaxton
Explorer

I used:

512MB ¿ DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 NON-ECC UNBUFFERED 200 PIN SODIMM

The Crucial part number was CT269257 from the UK site. The direct link to the Crucial USA site for that part number is .here - the model number is different because it refers to an American machine and the earlier GRX models are listed as only being capable of accepting 512MB.