Join now - be part of our community!

No Drivers Available?,

profile.country.en_GB.title
ajstockdale
Visitor

No Drivers Available?,

I recently purchased this E-Series notebook from Sony, with a customised-to-order spec. I had fun trying to register it (model number not found), and more concerningly, when I stick the model number into Sony's support section to grab updates/download stuff, it's totally blank. Nothing is listed under updates, nothing is listed under originally installed software. The manual section is blank. It doesn't even have the specs.

I appreciate this is a CTO so there's clearly a large combination of specs and hence model numbers, but a generic E-Series download page or something would be very useful. Alternatively, if any board members could point me in the direction of what model number tEo stick it that will provide relevant downloads, that would be fantastic.

Edit - specs would probably be relevant;

VPCEB4C5E

E-Series

15.5" 1920x1080 Display

Core i5-480M

1GB Radeon HD5650

4GB RAM

320GB 7200RPM HDD

It's a bit of a concern, as I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on this (upgrade from Home Premium > Ultimate was seemingly not supported). I made a full set of recovery disks before proceeding, and after installing Windows, I shoved in the first disc, then went through the options to reinstall the originally loaded software. A lot of it simply won't install, citing a failure during installation. I could use the recovery partition to reload the originally installed image of Windows, then try an anytime upgrade to a different edition before bumping up to Ultimate (yes, I do need Ultimate, and no, it wasn't a CTO option), but frankly, I can't be bothered issuing the keys, or the time required to reinstall and load my stuff on it again.

Surely there's a better solution? Thanks for your time, people :slight_smile:

Message was edited by: ajstockdale

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The best solution has to be an Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate - it is a supported upgrade involving a simple entry of a Product Key according to Microsoft here: -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/windows-anytime-upgrade

However, this still doesn't help with driver and software updates.  As you say most devices are generic to the whole VPCEB4-Series and although I have not compared every device, most of your needs can probably be found here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VPCEB4A4E

Another good reason for the Anytime Upgrade is if you change the operating system with a clean install, you cannot download or reinstall the original software from the recovery discs.  In Europe at least, these programs are only licensed to be used as part of the Sony OEM Operating System (or an Uprade in place) so most of the programs like WinDVD BD cannot be reinstalled except as part of the original Operating System. I believe a different set of rules may apply in the USA.

I don't work for Sony but I will bring to their attention the lack of driver support for the CTO Vaios.

:thinking: