Join now - be part of our community!

Installing Windows 7 32-bit on a seperate partition to 64-bit

profile.country.en_GB.title
nashcore
Visitor

Installing Windows 7 32-bit on a seperate partition to 64-bit

Hi,

I already posted a question a couple of weeks ago about my new Vaio. I was trying to install XP on a seperate partition (the machine came with Windows 7 pre-installed) but was having some major problems.

I've tried all kinds but it really seems that Sony have gone to special lengths to ensure that it isn't possible to install XP on this machine so I moved on to my next option. As one of the main problems I was having was that one of the programs that I need will not install on a 64-bit system I decided to just install Windows 7 32-bit on the other partition instead of XP. I need to do this on two seperate partitions because I also need 64-bit to run a couple of other programs.

So, I managed to install the 32-bit Windows 7 on the other partition. I downloaded the drivers for the machine from Sony and installed them on the other partition. I had some trouble because most of them were only for 64-bit so I made a note of the ones that I need so that I could then restart into the 64-bit Windows, go online and find the 32-bit drivers that I needed. Before doing this I checked to see if the program that would only install on a 32-bit system would install and it did. At this point I mistakenly assumed that I had solved my problem and everything would be fine.

I restarted and entered the pre-installed 64-bit Windows 7 to get on the internet and download the drivers that I needed. When I logged in all the icons on my desktop had gone blank and there were several error messages on screen. The error messages seemed to all be from Vaio related software or software that was pre-installed e.g. "Vaio Gate has stopped working" or "BBC iPlayer has stopped working".

When I tried to open Firefox to download the drivers/find out what had happened to my computer I got the following message: "The application had a problem and crashed. Unfortunately, Crash Report Centre (or something along those lines) was unable to submit a report. No application data file". I also tried to run a couple of other programs, one worked, one gave the following message: "The application can not run because of an unexpected error.".

When I tried to access my files I was told that I didn't have access to them. I think that this may be because when I was on the other, newly installed 32-bit partition I was trying to access some files from this partition but got the same message so I set it so that the files would be shared with that partition. I didn't think this would cause problems.

I don't know what to do now. I had to get my old laptop out to get on the internet to post this because I can't connect on my Vaio. I tried to system restore to a point earlier today before I'd installed the other Windows but that did nothing but bring back all the shortcuts on the desktop/task bar, I still can't open anything.

I have just formatted the partition with the 32-bit Windows on and restarted the computer but it's no different. As it is, the only thing I can think of is formatting the whole thing and starting over, installing the drivers that I downloaded and hoping for the best but that's a last resort because I don't know how well that will work. I really wish Sony would just give out some recovery disks with their computers.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/advice??

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: nashcore

Message was edited by: nashcore

Message was edited by: -frank-

0 REPLIES 0