Join now - be part of our community!

FR415B - BIOS Update, OS downgrade?

Gorgar
Visitor

FR415B - BIOS Update, OS downgrade?

Hello,

I apologize if the following questions were already asked:

My pcg-fr415b ist running with bios version R0109K7. Is there a newer version available? Where can it be found?

I also want to get rid of WinXP. Does anyone got positive experiences by installing a W2K or best case Win2003 OS on this model?

Many thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

If there is it's on www.vaio-link.com

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I am pretty certain that I am correct in saying you cannot `down grade¿ from XP by overwriting it, a format and clean install would be required.

You can however use dual boot by installing Win2000 or the like on a separate partition. It would then be necessary to download all the relevant Sony drivers etc.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah Rich is right, you would need to do a clean install of Win2k, if thats all you want on the VAIO.

Gorgar
Visitor

Yeah Rich is right, you would need to do a clean install of Win2k, if thats all you want on the VAIO.

Right, my intention by writing "downgrade" was installing an older OS than WinXP..
Of course, I would format the entire harddisk and install W2K or 2003 on a clean parttion, no dual boot etc.

But what about drivers? As I often read in public forums that any installation different from WinXP would cause trouble with certain devices as Chipset, Graphic Chip etc on that model.

And sorry for my poor english... ;-\

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Check out Vaio-Link to make sure that whatever operating system you are intending to use has supported drivers for your model.

If it all goes belly up you can always revert back to your original configuration with your restore disks.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat