Join now - be part of our community!

CMOS battery reset, VAIO VPCCW2S1E

profile.country.de_CH.title
ramoisami
Visitor

CMOS battery reset, VAIO VPCCW2S1E

hello all,

i am from asia, but now i live and work in switzerland, and i am using one of your machines that belongs to where i work. i wrote to vaio switzerland community, but they sent me here since i dont speak german. i have an issue and i hope that i could get help.

i would like to reser my machine BIOS, so i have some questions:

1-is there something like "load default BIOS" and is that going to reset my BIOS ?

2-is there a button to where i could reset CMOS ?

3-if there is not such a button, is there any other way !

4-could you please provide me with the machine motherboard pic, so i could locate CMOS battery.

finally, the machine model is VPCCW2S1E

thank you so much

Jane

Tags (4)
10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jane,

If you tap F2 at boot this will open the BIOS comfigration settings. There is an option to load BIOS defaults.

There is no CMOS reset button. Is there a particular reason for wanting to do this?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ramoisami
Visitor

hello Rich

i have already tried with F2, and there is no BIOS configuration system. the options i have here are:

-Main

-Advanced

-Security

-Boot

a-Boot Configuration

external device boot

network boot

b-Boot Periority

select 1st boot

..........2nd.......

..........3rd.......

-Exit

Exit Setup

Get Default Values

Discard Changes

Save Changes

Shut Down

unless "get defalut values" means sth like reset BIOS, then there is nothing like that.

we installed here new RAMs. the machine had 4 GB RAM, and now it is 8 GB. sometimes when we start the machine we have to restart it 2 to 3 times till it starts. we contacted RAM manufacturer and they told us to try reseting BIOS by reseting CMOS battery to know if the problem with the system or RAMs.

thank you

Jane

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jane,

‘Get default values’ will return the BIOS settings to ‘as delivered’ but I doubt that this has any bearing on the RAM problem.

Who is the manufacturer of the new modules? If it is Corsair then we have had many reports of incompatibility with Vaios. Most of us use Crucial as they guaranty compatibility.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ramoisami
Visitor

hello Rich

we are using Crucial here. usually we use RAMs from Samsung, but we wanted to try sth new.

thank you

Jane

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jane,

You could try removing battery and power adaptor and then holding down the power button for 30 seconds before reattaching both and then rebooting. This is not quite the same as a CMOS reset but at least you can then tell Crucial that you have tried it...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ramoisami
Visitor

hello Rich,

i did that before, the only thing left is reseting BIOS. according to you "get default values" is going to reset BIOS. that means if i format the system, i will get everything reseted as well BIOS !

thank you Jane

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jane,

"Get default values" only resets the BIOS to default; it does not format the system or return the OS to factory defaults.

Resetting the OS to factory settings, using either Vaio Care, F10 at boot or Assist button when shut down will not reset the BIOS. Indeed there should be no need to return the system to factory setting and will make no difference to whether the RAM modules work correctly.

I assume that you have tried re-seating the new modules and tried them each singularly in each slot?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ramoisami
Visitor

hello Rich

i have already tried with the modules slot, the only thing left to do is reseting BIOS. i will try with "Get Default Values" when we have time here, or when we dont need the machine. if it is not gonna work, then we are going to send the RAMs back.

thank you Jane

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome Jane – good luck.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat