Join now - be part of our community!

Using NFC between Sony Bravia W905 and Samsung Galaxy SIII

Using NFC between Sony Bravia W905 and Samsung Galaxy SIII

Hi, anyone that can guide me in how to use NFC to show my images on the Samsung Phone on my Sony television?  Models mentioned in the subject line.

Do I need an application on my phone.  On the phonescreen it says new tag, listing to different Sony "lines".  On the television screen I get an message to keep holding the device close to the NFC tag, but nothing more happens.

Regards Lisbeth

23 REPLIES 23
embosfer
Explorer

I've just bought a W805A TV model and I've got the same problem: with my Galaxy S3 I don't seem to be able to mirror content on the TV. To be precise, I get a screen "New tag collected" displayed on my phone).

I've shared stuff via NFC with other phones (Galaxy S4 and other Android non-Samsung models) and it works perfectly.

Even if my phone handles natively NFC, I installed and tried (just in case) the "NFC Easy Connect" Android app, but I when I repeat the operation I get "Device not detected. Keep touching until the device is detected". Believe me, I tried many times and nothing.

I believe this should be fixed, supporting Sony devices only is just NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Regards

Hi

I've been having the same issues. However, if you go to Settings>Media Output on your phone and select Scan via the three dots, it should pick up the TV. It should display both DLNA and Miracast. This only appeared after a factory reset of the TV. Select Miracast and miring should automatically take place. It's very hit and miss but I does work. Still need to play with other settings and will update if I find anything else.
simonsmidt
Explorer

I complained with Sony Belgium, asking them to update their software so that Galaxy's could also connect. They replied (quickly) in Dutch:

Bedankt voor uw email naar Sony Support.
Ik begrijp dat u een Samsung Galaxy S3 heeft die u via NFC wilt verbinden met uw Sony Bravia.
De NFC techniek op de Galaxy is helaas niet compatibel  met onze NFC techniek. Het is daarom aan Samsung om hiervoor met een update te komen. Wij kunnen hier helaas geen oplossing voor bieden.

Translating it comes down to the fact that the Galaxy uses a different NFC technique, and that Sony cannot give a solution... 

I've asked support about these different techniques. I'll update you if I get an answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

By all means continue to persue this.  However it is difficult to know whos at fault.  I would also persue this at the Samsung end as well.

NFC is suppose to be a common standard set by the NFC forum.  Both Sony and Samsung are sponsored members of the "alliance"

http://nfc-forum.org/about-us/our-members/

Mission

The Near Field Communication Forum was formed to advance the use of Near Field Communication technology by developing specifications, ensuring interoperability among devices and services, and educating the market about NFC technology. Formed in 2004, the Forum now has 190 members. Manufacturers, applications developers, financial services institutions, and others all work together to promote the use of NFC technology in consumer electronics, mobile devices,  PCs, and more.

http://nfc-forum.org/about-us/the-nfc-forum/

The NFC Forum also holds a list of certifications, however looking through it, without having more knowledge on which chip the device is using, its hard to figure out.

Cheers

simonsmidt
Explorer

As expected support replied that they follow the standard and that others don't....

Sony gebruikt de standaard NFC techniek en functioneert prima met andere merken die ook NFC gebruiken. Wanneer een ander product niet compatible is met NFC dan kunnen wij daar als Sony helaas niks aan veranderen en verwijzen wij u door naar de support afdeling van de fabrikant van het apparaat.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try giving Samsung a buzz in regards to this issue too.  However, you will probably get the same response back.  Have you tried setting it up using miracast instead of NFC?

stisor
New

But is there any phones except Sonys with working NFC?

So Sony say they are the only ones following the standard?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In fairness to Sony - Sony can only issue a statement guarranteeing the compatibility of its own products.  Anything else would be rather foolish, even though the NFC specifications are defined by contributing members of the NFC Forum.

simonsmidt
Explorer

I've sent an email to Samsung Belgium. I'll keep you posted.

simonsmidt
Explorer

Of course :cry: Samsung gives the same answer: they are using the standard.

De NFC op de Galaxy S3 schijnt niet compatibel te zijn met bijvoorbeeld een Sony televisie.
Ik heb een Sony tv gekocht, de KDL-46w905 waarmee je een NFC telefoon kunt verbinden met de tv via NFC. Dit wil niet lukken.
Er is op de Sony support site een topic over:
http://community.sony.be/t5/Televisions/Using-NFC-between-Sony-Bravia-W905-and-Samsung-Galaxy-SIII/t...

Sony beweert dat zijn de NFC standaard goed toepassen en dat het daarom aan de Galaxy S3 ligt.
Kunt u uitleggen wat het verschil is in de NFC standaard die jullie op de S3 gebruiken, zodat het niet kan NFC-communiceren?

Geadviseerd antwoord

Dank u voor uw e-mail met betrekking tot uw Samsung GT-I9300.

Vervelend om te vernemen dat uw telefoon geen verbing kan maken met uw televisie. Samsung gebruikt de standaart NFC instelling op de toestellen. In de link die u heeft verstuurd zie ik dat er wordt vermeld dat een reparatieservice van Sony beweert dat alleen Sony Experia toestellen compalibel zijn met de NFC tag.

Helaas moet ik u mededelen dat wij u niet verder kunnen helpen zodat uw telefoon contact maakt met uw televisie door middel van NFC.