Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia TV not playing movies from USB flash drive

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
DollFin
Explorer

Bravia TV not playing movies from USB flash drive

Hi everyone. I downloaded a movie to my PC, where I started to play it in order to check that it was ok, which it was.
I then copied it from PC to 32 GB USB flash drive/ memory stick. Again,It worked when I started to play it on the PC. I then plugged the flash drive into the USB port on my Sony Bravia KDL32EX503 TV.
A message appeared on the screen to say that the flash drive had been inserted, but nothing happened after that.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As ancousins said above, you need to use a software program to "convert" from one file format to another

A good website for lots of FAQ's and advice is : http://www.videohelp.com

The website also has links to various software : http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-video-converters

Initially it can be a bit of a learning curve.  I use an open source program called "handbrake" of which works for me.  Test a few of them out, to see what "works" for you.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

According to the specifications of your TV : Here

You can only play the following video files (codecs) via USB:

• AVC
  • AVCHD
  • DivX
  • MPEG4

You need to ensure that the video is in one of those formats.  For example, if it is a MKV file it wont work. Cheers

DollFin
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus. Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, It's an MKV file, so now I know why it won't work.

There is, I think, a way around it if the TV is on the same network as the PC, as mine is.

Having plugged the flash drive back into the PC, I then installed Sony Homestream, which is a free streaming program for sharing files between PC and TV.

After I installed it and set it up to share the flash drive contents, which is straightforward, I was able to watch the movie on the TV.I also set it up to share the 'downloads; folder on my PC. Next time I download a film to the PC, I should be able to share it with the TV without having to copy it to the flash drive.

However, I am still not able to watch that film on a TV external to the network, which is what I'd like to do. There must be some way of altering or converting the MKV format, I suppose, but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks again.,

ancousins

Hi

Try   anyvideoconverter, a free programme that does what it says on the tin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As ancousins said above, you need to use a software program to "convert" from one file format to another

A good website for lots of FAQ's and advice is : http://www.videohelp.com

The website also has links to various software : http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-video-converters

Initially it can be a bit of a learning curve.  I use an open source program called "handbrake" of which works for me.  Test a few of them out, to see what "works" for you.

Hope that helps

DollFin
Explorer

Hi ancousins. Thanks for the info. I'll look it up and try to master the details. I say that because I know so little about file formats. Cheers

DollFin
Explorer

Hi quinnicus. thanks for the link and for all your help. Yes, it certainly is a learning curve; but here's a pot of gold at the end of it, so perhaps it's a rainbow curve.Thanks again. Cheers

hairfix
New

My flash drive video is MPEG format, & when I selected "video" on the screen, the only folder that appeared was BD data, & my video wouldn't play. Why?

my sony TV model KLV-22BX350 plays some mp4 videos and not others. When i connect my sony xperia Z1 to it, it detects the files but am only able to play some and not others yet all are in .mp4 format

I thought by buying a sony xperia z1 phone, compatibility would be a thing of the past.

funny when i connect the same to a sumsung am able to play all videos

adinadig
Explorer

I have strange case.. All these days, my Sony Bravia was playing all movies from external hard disk and pen drives. But, from last two days it stopped recognizing the movie files. I am not sure what has happened to my TV. Can some one help me in solving this?