Join now - be part of our community!

XH95 Poor Sound Quality

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
fschleiff
New

XH95 Poor Sound Quality

Edit: the term I'm looking for here is sibilance or de-essing. "s" sounds are way too sharp.

Hi. 

I recently purchased the 55 inch XH95 Android TV and everything is great apart from the sound from the internal speakers. I know TV speakers aren't brilliant, but the audio is very tinny and high-pitched. Voices are 'too clear' so to speak to the point that it hurts my ears any time someone says the letter S. With the TV turned down low, all I can hear is sssssss! It's so irritating.

What I mean is that the Sony’s sound seems far too thin and trebly for a TV of this price and none of the inbuilt sound settings help with this. It's as if the high frequencies are peaking. Any recommendations for equaliser/sound calibration to take the edge off?

Regards

Florian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @fschleiff,

@fschleiff  schrieb:

What I mean is that the Sony’s sound seems far too thin and trebly for a TV of this price and none of the inbuilt sound settings help with this. It's as if the high frequencies are peaking. Any recommendations for equaliser/sound calibration to take the edge off?

well, I've got the same model but have not yet experienced that sharp S noise about which you're talking.

I'm living in Germany and found that when using DVB-T2 there are quite some differences regarding sound depending on the channel I'm watching. That however seems to be related to the format in which the audio is being transmitted. Dolby 2.0 and 5.1 are sounding "thinner" whereas AAC sounds more voluminous and much louder additionally.

Anyhow, in respect to my listening habits I've decided to switch on the TV's equalizer and to push up bass and treble (!) while having the mid tones at an average level. The curve now looks like a wide spread U. Actually I'm rather satisfied with the sound now. Well, I'm counting almost 63 years meanwhile so my hearing certainly has suffered over time. When looking for perfect sound I'm using either my headphones or my AVR.

Oh yes, in the "quick preferences", i.e. the menu which shows up when hitting the cog wheel button on the remote, I've set audio to "Dolby Audio".

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @fschleiff,

@fschleiff  schrieb:

well, I've got the same model but have not yet experienced that sharp S noise about which you're talking.

I'm living in Germany and found that when using DVB-T2 there are quite some differences regarding sound depending on the channel I'm watching. That however seems to be related to the format in which the audio is being transmitted. Dolby 2.0 and 5.1 are sounding "thinner" whereas AAC sounds more voluminous and much louder additionally.

Anyhow, in respect to my listening habits I've decided to switch on the TV's equalizer and to push up bass and treble (!) while having the mid tones at an average level. The curve now looks like a wide spread U. Actually I'm rather satisfied with the sound now. Well, I'm counting almost 63 years meanwhile so my hearing certainly has suffered over time. When looking for perfect sound I'm using either my headphones or my AVR.

Oh yes, in the "quick preferences", i.e. the menu which shows up when hitting the cog wheel button on the remote, I've set audio to "Dolby Audio".

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
fschleiff
New

Thanks for the input and sorry for the extremely delayed reply. Ended up going for a soundbar in the end and replacing TV too due to other issues with the set.

Regards