Join now - be part of our community!

Optical or HDMI

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Gally36
Explorer

Optical or HDMI

HI, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT CABLE JS BEST TO CONNECT AN LG SOUNDBAR TO A SONy 49XD8088.  THANKS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As Marino says above, it depends upon which connections you have.  However, If you can use HDMI (via HDMI-ARC Port) then it is always best to.  Reasons are:

• HDMI can output the higher resolution audio formats from sources like bluray disc's (i.e. Dolby True HD, DTS HDMA) where-as Optical cannot
  • HDMI can take advantage of Bravia Sync (Song) or SimpLink (LG) which are HDMI-CEC functions
  • If your Soundbar can connect other devices to it from HDMI, then you might as well use a single cable.

Cheers

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi,

it also depends on the Soundbar connections ... Soundbar's models?

Manolo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As Marino says above, it depends upon which connections you have.  However, If you can use HDMI (via HDMI-ARC Port) then it is always best to.  Reasons are:

• HDMI can output the higher resolution audio formats from sources like bluray disc's (i.e. Dolby True HD, DTS HDMA) where-as Optical cannot
  • HDMI can take advantage of Bravia Sync (Song) or SimpLink (LG) which are HDMI-CEC functions
  • If your Soundbar can connect other devices to it from HDMI, then you might as well use a single cable.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Gally36
Explorer

The SOUNDBAR is an lg from an earlier to set up.  Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Gally36
Explorer

THANK YOU FOR REPLYING
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just a little bit of friendly advice - on the internet, when posting something in ALL CAPITALS, it is considered as shouting and hence is rude (unless you mean it of course) :nauseated_face:

Also, I know you have mentioned it is an LG Soundbar, but its like asking a mechanic for advice on which tires your need on your car and you only tell them its a Ford.  Its some help, but model numbers help the most.

Anyway, see my reply above - best to use HDMI when able to.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Gally36
Explorer

PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES, IM VISUALLY IMPAIRED AND USE CAPS AS EASIER TO READ, I GET MY PARTNER TO READ AN WRITE SOMETIMES.

I HAVE NOW CONNECTED THE SOUNDBAR VIA HDMI VIA ARC AND IT WORKS FINE.  THANK YOU AND SORRY AGAIN.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome.  I understand. 

If we can help on the forums for any issues you have, we will do our best.  :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Gally36
Explorer

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP