Join now - be part of our community!

OLED KD65AG9 Software Update Issues

profile.country.GB.title
Paul-Dom
Explorer

OLED KD65AG9 Software Update Issues

Late last week my KD 65AG9 had a software update, after this some of the functions ceased to work properly, I powered down the TV and left for a minute and then restarted it. This cleared most of the problems except for the access to TV text via the BBC channels. This does not function and I have checked using another TV and all is fine with the service. The text button and the 4 colour buttons associated with the text button on the remote control do not work. Is there a software issue with the latest update or is there a fault on my TV since the update on Friday? The TV is 11 months old and this is very concerning for such a quality TV to have such an issue. Can anyone help me?

60 REPLIES 60
profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi Paul-Dom

My model is KD-55XG8796

I have had the same issue as yourself but I am also still having other issues as well, like having to press buttons twice to get it to work, the EPG has changed to Freeview away from Youview and can now no longer access catchup TV via the EPG nor can I go back to previous days TV , also having issues with sound through my Sony sound bar. 
Everything was working fine before last weeks update.

I have 2 calls open with Sony and I am waiting a call back from them on Thursday 21/1/21.

I will try an update here any progress that I get but I am not holding out much hope.

profile.country.GB.title
jonesey55

Hello both.

I too have a KD-55XG8796, and have the similar problems after the updates which were to the TV and to the remote control.

I am using digital terrestrial signal. I am based in Scotland.  I have done a number of experimentations

What I have discovered is the following...

If you select "Digital" as the input, then you will get the Freeview Guide when you press "Guide" and there is no integrated catch up service.

If you select "Live TV & Catch Up" as the input, then YouView will be activated and you will get the YouView guide when you press "Guide" together with the integrated catch-up service. If you press on a selected programme which is payable, this plays as it did in the past.

However....

(A) In Scotland, the scottish channels do not update properly in the YouView guide, so most of the guide for these channels (BBC1 Scot, BBC Scotland, BBC Alba, STV, etc) shows "No information available" for past periods and hence is completely useless.

(B) The Green Button to restart a current programme from the beginning no longer works (but still does on my other Sony tv which has not been updated)

(C) The "traditional" Red button does not work in either "Digital" or in "Live TV and Catch Up" mode.

All in all, I can see only problems, and no advantages, from this upgrade.  The Android/YouView features were a major consideration when choosing the Sony, and now this functionality is seriously compromised.  I certainly wont be updating and firmware on my other Sony TV any time soon, and am annoyed by what appears to be a shoddy peice of work by Sony, and wonder how one can trust future upgrades.

I look forward to hearing of any progress.

profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi,
Yes I had found the same thing but over all the software update has been a disaster, I am holding out much hope that Sony can or will fix it.
I used to have everything Sony in my house for years but now they are just really also rans in the domestic electronics market, if this doesn’t get fixed it will be the last time I buy anything Sony and will look at other manufactures for future electronic purchases.

I will update this post after tomorrow’s call that is if they do call !!!!

Peter McMillan

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi guys

Just had an email from Sony support giving me a link for a new Software update and they won’t call me until I have installed this update, 

my current software version is PKG6.4960.0628EUA the new version is PKG6.5016xxx

it is supposed to be available via the online update via the tv or by down loading it to a usb drive and installing it directly onto the TV.

here is the link I got but you might be better logging a call yourselves with Sony in case it is different for you TV models.

Here is the link that I got anyway so you can at least read up on it.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00017127

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey jonesey55, this model got an update yesterday as well, I found it for you: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xg85xx_x85xxg_u8g-series-55-65-75-85-/kd-...

Let us know if it worked.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team
profile.country.GB.title
ksbeck
Explorer

Similar issues with KD55AG9

Recent update software to version PKG6.4960.0628EUA, have now lost the Teletext function from BBC and the connected services RED Button function, also minor differences with the Quick Change Input function i.e. no ITV Hub select, have to use the YouView Icon. Teletext and Red Button work on Humax set top box.

Is this the new normal?

Tags (0)

profile.country.GB.title
jonesey55

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback since my last post.  I have run the software update to version 6.5016 (from 6.4960), as per the links provided in the earlier posts.  I had to use the USB method because the existing tv software did not recognise that there was this newer version. The installation went without a hitch.

As far as I can see, none of the problems I have been experiencing have been fixed...

(1) The traditional red button functionality still does not work on Digital or on YouView

(2) The green button functionality to restart a current programme is missing from YouView

(3) There are large masses of "No Information Available" for past programmes in the YouView TV guide for BBC1 Scotland, STV, BBC Scotland, and all of the other Scottish channels, rendering the catch-up functionality completely useless.

(4) There may well be others....

Hopefully someone from Sony will respond/react in the near future.

Incidentally, have just got a message on my other tv (KD-49XG8096) to update the software on that TV.  You can be sure I am going give that update a wide berth.

profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi

Just updated from PKG6.4960.0628EUA to the latest version PKG6.5016.0631EUA

I had to use the USB method because it could not be found via the TV option.

It was fairly simple to do but alas it did not fix any of the issues I am having after the last software upgrade, It still has the useless Freeview EPG and still cannot go back to previous days listings or start catch-up TV directly from the EPG like I could before and the BBC red button works intermittently and Digital Teletext still doesn’t work.

For our needs and for what we were used to with this TV Sony have ruined the user experience.

I currently have two calls open for the issues I am experiencing so I will update support tomorrow ( Monday 25/1/21 ) and if I get any useful from them I will post it here.

I used to have a house full of Sony products as they used to be quality and support was pretty good but things have degenerated significantly with Sony.

I will not be buying any more Sony products in the future unless I really have to.