Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55X9005C Digital Dolby from HDMI to Optical

profile.country.en_GB.title
stemcdon9
Explorer

KD-55X9005C Digital Dolby from HDMI to Optical

Will my TV pass through 5.1 sound from a skyHD box connected via HDMI (ARC) to TV and out through toslink? If so what the settings for this?

I am using a Sonos playbar, woofer and two play 1s.

I also have Netflix and Amazon prime apps on the TV - what's the correct sound settings for True 5.1 sound through my Sonos system?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
vettesea
Explorer

Hello... did you sort this problem ?  I have exactly the same

set up and have been wondering the same thing?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@stemcdon9 wrote:

Will my TV pass through 5.1 sound from a skyHD box connected via HDMI (ARC) to TV and out through toslink? If so what the settings for this?

I am using a Sonos playbar, woofer and two play 1s.

I also have Netflix and Amazon prime apps on the TV - what's the correct sound settings for True 5.1 sound through my Sonos system?

Just try it, as below

You don't get any benefit from ARC here - that feeds the TV sound back down an audio channel in the HDMI cable that runs between two pieces of kit, which you aren't doing.

On my Yanaha YSP-2500 soundbar, for example, I connect the one ARC HDMI output to the one ARC enabled input on the TV, and when I am watching a TV channel, the HDMI port on the TV, being ARC enabled, sends the TV audio back down that HDMI cable, and the HDMI port on the soundbar, being ARC enabled, can receive that sound and play it on the soundbar.

But both ends must be ARC enabled, and one must be enabled to send and the other to receive, and the sending device must be getting its sound from somewhere else, and the receiving device must be able to play the sound.

And the Sky box/TV combination does not fit this description.

But the ARC-enabled HDMI channel is as good as any other HDMI channel at just being an HDMI channel, in this usage; it's just that the ARC does not come into play, and you are 'wasting' it if you could exploit the ARC elsewhere.

So: incredibly, the much-vaunted Sonos bar has no HDMI capabilities anyway, as far as I can see; can you confirm or deny this?

But I can pretend my Yammy has no HDMI, and plug a TOSLINK cable from TV to bar; I choose the Action Menu and switch the speakers to Audio System, then I go into Sound, again on the Action Menu, and under Common, I set the Digital audio out volume away from Min.

For some reason, there are more settings under Settings/Sound, where you can experiment with Digital audio out settings Auto 1, Auto 2 and PCM, and see which you like best (Auto 1 if there is any justice) when playing a Netflix 5.1 show (The Crown is in 5.1, for instance).

And you may also choose to set the digital audio value to be controlled from the TV or from the Sonos, as (courtesy of  @Anonymous for which much thanks) you can Set the Audio Out to "Variable" instead of "Fixed" according to these instructions HERE.

That's it, on my KD-43X8309C anyway; maybe your set has more Sound options, I don't know. But set yours up as above, and if it seems to work, you can refine it with any extra options you have.

i hope this all works for you both!

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking