Join now - be part of our community!

Idiot? needs help

Wardy1965
New

Idiot? needs help

I'm trying to connect my Sony TV (KD-49X8309C) to an AV Receiver (Yamaha AVV373) for sound using an HDMI lead from the TV to Amp. I then have an Optical lead running from the Amp to a Sony Soundbar (HT-CT180)
Both TV and Amp are ARC compatible but I can't get any sound.

It says I'm connected to the amp but obviously I've done something stupid!
Have followed instructions both for the amp and also tv but nothing!
HDMI lead in amp is in HDMI 1 and on TV its in HDMI4/ARC, I have also tried HDMI OUT on Amp.
Probably done something very stupid...feel free to tell me that!!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

The AMP should have a HDMI socket named ARC. Secondly you should enable bravia sync.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wardy1965 wrote:

Probably done something very stupid...feel free to tell me that!!

Oh its tempting... :wink:

Hi there

Unfortunately you have made a connection mistake.  Its either one or the other but not both in regards to the AV Receiver and soundbar.  With an AV Receiver you attach individual speakers, see number 11 on the picture below.

In regards to connecting a Soundbar, this connects directly to the TV itself, via the TVs optical OUT port.  But again, you cannot output audio via optical (soundbar) or HDMI-ARC (AV Receiver) at the same time.  The reason why you are not getting sound is thar you can connected the soundbar to the av receiver via the optical input.  hence you are trying to input audio from the soundbar, wheras audio should be output.  See number 5 on the pic below.

_20160412_200552.JPG

So my advice is get some speakers and if you have just purchased the soundbar, return it for a refund.  If you dont have room, then keep the soundbar and return the av receiver.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Risc0n - look at this for timing!

_20160412_201014.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

@Risc0n - look at this for timing!

_20160412_201014.JPG

Haha!