Join now - be part of our community!

How to improve the user experience of Sony 4K HDR TV range with Android TV

profile.country.GB.title
CRFX22

How to improve the user experience of Sony 4K HDR TV range with Android TV

My Sony KD-55XD9305 nicely hangs on the wall. I love the beautifully designed slim TV. However, I would like to see the improvements listed bellow with a future software upgrade as the usability is poor and not straight forward;

1) Make all catch up TV apps run independently of Youview.
2) Make Satellite and Freeview the main and favoured viewing option not Youview.
3) We do not want Youview if "HDD recording (REC) and Satellite features are not available if the YouView functionality is enabled".
4) Introduce more options to the 'Action Menu' like the 'sleep timer' and the 'favourite channel list'
5) Introduce PIP/PAP with the next Android N upgrade.
6) Consider Freesat's Freetime.
7) Enable satellite channel scan without having to go through the initial set up, only the digital channels can be scanned now thanks to the rubbish decision to incorporate Youview.
😎 Fully sync the user interface with the remote, feels like left behind abruptly halfway.
9) Consider a new romote layout, it is more usefull to have a dedicated button for the 'Favourite Channel List' than does for Netflix.
10) If wanted to have Youview as an optional app but not deeply integrated to the OS system as is now, we have no option of viewing all indepentent chatch up TV apps without it.
11) Introduce Google Chrome
12) Both digital and satellite guides are buggy, the screen goes blank, freezes, there is a lathency and programme information is not present in salellite guide. 
13) Currenlty, you can organise the 'Favourite Channel List', however there is no way of accessing it I know of.  

All in all we would like to see a better user interface without Youview or for those who do not want to compromise on Satellite features due to Youview. Do we really need Youview? NO.

Thank you. 
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There are some good suggestions there, but some of them cannot be changed as its as per design.  Just going to quickly run though your list.

Point 1:

This will not change unfortunately, ITV Player and 4OD are only available via YouView.  I believe you can 'cast' these however via a tablet/smartphone etc.

Point 2:

You can disable YouView in the TV settings if you do not wish to use YouView.  See HERE for instructions

Point 3:

In an ideal world I agree.  I do not know the full or real reason for this, but cannot see it changing though.

Point 4:

Agreed - hopefully this will get future development, but who knows.

Point 5:

PIP/PAP have been introduced - but a little limited.  However it has already been suggested to Sony to increase its funtionality.

Point 6:

Will not happen - Sony's TVs are not Freesat - Freeview Only.

Point 7:

You can do this, but you must disable YouView.  Satellite services and YouView do not function together.

Point 8:

Im not sure on what you are meaning on this.  But in recent firmware updates the TV has felt more responsive.

Point 9:

Agreed.  However there is now an app to change the Netflix button to another app. See HERE

Point 10:

Correct, see point 1 above.

Point 11:

You can sideload Google Chrome yourself.  See HERE

Point 12:

Has been improved in recent times.  However I understand with a future release (Marshmallow) this will be fixed.

Point 13:

I believe pressing the discover button on the remote is how you access it.

Since your post, things have improved, but there is still a way to go.

Cheers