Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia 65XD9305, problem with HT-NT5 sound bar

Bravia 65XD9305, problem with HT-NT5 sound bar

Hi all, my first post here. 

I got myself a christmas present and got Bravia 65XD9305 with HT-NT5 sound bar (just sound bar + subwoofer, no rear speakers).

Setting up everything was straightforward and everything worked fine ... for a while.  I have the most recent OS versions on both devices (as of 1/1/2017) and the connection between them is HDMI between ARC ports. HDMI cable quality should be good enough (2.0a compatible), gold plated connectors etc etc etc. 

Since then I have had two separate issues with this. The first problem was "no sound from sound bar".  Connection between devices was fine as sound bar home button brought the SB configuration screen on telly. When I switched sound bar off, TV audio kicked in and I had sound.  After switching on sound bar, TV displayed "audio system active" and I lost sound completely.  This one I was able to sort out with the most scientific "power off both devices and reboot" -method.  No biggie. 

The second problem I have had now twice is more weird. Sound system works and sound can be heard from it but the sound is "flat". It just does not sound very good. Subwoofer does not produce any sound, even if playing an action movie with strong sound effects.  The sound is just like an old fashioned stereo.  Re-linking subwoofer does not do anything, and the problem is not just in subwoofer but also sound quality in general what comes out of the sound bar. 

When streaming music to sound bar from spotify, sound quality is normal, so the problem is between TV and sound bar. 

Full power off reset does not help. What appears to help is to go to TV settings to modify audio output settings and change the ARC HDMI port to "extended HDMI" or "extended surround" or whatever profile. This forces TV to reset. No sound can be heard from sound bar after that, apparently this protocol is not compatible with the sound bar. BUT when I change the same setting back again and TV does another reset, everything works. 

Am I doing something wrong or is the whole system somewhat rickety and it needs some TLC once a week or so. 

Hannu

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As you have both new devices and have updated the firmware to reflect this - can you please do a factory reset on both the TV and soundbar.  This community has found that sometimes after a firmware update, a factory reset is needed if there are some issues afterwards.

Now, we dont really know if all worked fine before you updated the firmware, but I would certainly do it.  It also helps in the troubleshooting process as there is a 'baseline' to start with.

To help, I have created an excel spreadsheet for you to download and enter your TV settings into - as they will need to be redone afterwards.

See:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0FRB6rQ2ePkMEZ2WDFIaUlZcEk

To factory reset the TV - see HERE

Cheers