Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
john.pringle

@@Quinnicus  any news on the blank screen issue its been 3 weeks without a sound   I am getting a bit frustrated along with others that this issue is not being sorted   Most of my equipment is Sony and I have been happy with it all apart from this tv  the annoying thing is it's a great picture   

stplant43
Explorer

Latest sw up date loaded this week , nice new youview but satalight option now greyed out, what !!!!!!!!!! Should have bought a LG Sent from my iPad Steve Plant
1337domz
Explorer

I bought one of these TV's last week and wanted to try and clarify a few things:

- Are there any plans to add things like BT Sport to the Youview implementation? Without it, I can't replace my STB

- Have they said they will fix the issue with Plex not passing through surround sound? Also Amazon Instant Video?

paudanie8

Had enough. Just put my month old KD65X9005CBU up for sale. 

profile.country.GB.title
Kel520

Hi Guys, for those of us either stuck with our TV's, holding out for a mirical or just plain can't be arsed....can someone please clarify the latest update cluster fcuk.

I havent updated after reading there is no satalite option now is that correct? One of the main reasons for buying this TV was the ability to watch from a sat dish though without the knowledge there would be no menu guide cos of the crap tuners so I believe.

Obviously I dont want to download it if I'm going to loose the Sat option. Or is it just either or, between that and this Youview ?

Cheers 

elraouk

You can disable Youview  to use Sattelite I believe. 
stplant43
Explorer

Err yes disable one feature to get another , must be Sony logic Sent from my iPad Steve Plant
Anonymous
Not applicable

@john.pringle - I have heard nothing bsck so far in regards to fixing the blank screen issue - I will chase this up though as well as the other issues.  However, it is extremely unlikely it will be fixed before the next major update 'before 24 december'.

@MrLizard - are you still having this problem - as i have not seen any others report it thus far?

@1337domz - there are no plans to add paytv channels such as bt sports.

nigeldavey
Explorer

Guys I really feel for you all. But I wanted to let you know some small good has come out of it. i hope this won't sound like 'l'm all right Jack' though. For a few weeks I've been seriously thinking of buying a KDL-55W805C. But after several links to this forum on hotukdeals I started to track with you all to get an idea of just how bad these Android issues are. Based on the countless comments I've now decided it would be a big risk to buy a current Sony TV since it looks like Sony really are on the back foot and perhaps even the processors in this year's TV's aren't up to the job.

Consequently I've decided to get a Samsung UE55JU6400. It still isn't my first choice, but Sony have obviously dropped the ball on this current generation.

As I said, I genuinely feel for you guys and despite it not looking likely (any time soon), I do hope Sony will sort this out. Maybe by my next tv in 5+ years I'll consider Sony again.

profile.country.IE.title
EggDublin

There's inconsistencies from unit to unit too. My original set was riddled with problems including the overheating/crackling noise issue. I brought it back within the first month, was offered a exchange or refund and chose an exchange. The new unit is exactly the same model but with much fewer issues. 

I would suggest that people should return the units if they are faulty, no matter how small the fault, and get a new one (or refund) if possible or a repair at worst. This could mean you get a much better TV but it also means that Sony will have to take a loss each time a set is repaired or replaced and since they are not listening to their customers maybe they will pay attention to this.

I can't claim to be 100% happy but I'm a lot better off than I was with my original set!